echeblog

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Death of Rap

I went out to the movies with Alex this weekend to see The Bridge to Terabithia. While I suppose I could comment on how I think the young Josh Hutcherson is going to be incredibly hot before long, it feels a little too Michael Jackson-esque. I felt dirty even noticing. Anyway, what I DID notice is that in the 15 minutes of previews there was a new Sony release starring Ice Cube called Are We Done Yet? For those of you who haven't heard of it, its a charming little family-oriented update of The Money Pit, and is the sequel to 2005's Are We There Yet? I know Ice Cube has done a number of movies and all, but I couldn't help but chuckle as I remembered him from his N.W.A. days and had Straight Outta Compton running through my head while the trailer ran.

When N.W.A. and Public Enemy exploded onto the scene in the late 80s, they introduced rap's gritty, edgy social critique to the masses -- where once it shocked and stirred tremendous debate, now the music industry has sucked the heart and soul out of it and Ice Cube is doing kids movies. Rap is dead. Just watch this video if you have any question about that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home