echeblog

Friday, September 17, 2004

Another Dimension

I went to dinner with my parents tonight. Everything went fine until the end when the conversation turned back to our family's earlier days and how my parents related back when my brothers and I were growing up. While my family life was pretty good compared to a lot of people I knew, things were far from perfect. At the core, I think my parents never really communicated very well and had some very different expectations of each other. What it boils down to is that my parents used to have some pretty ugly verbal fights. There was never anything physical, but that didn't stop it from having a big impact on me or my two brothers. I know that one of my brothers still will not argue with his wife because he is concerned about an argument escalating into the type of ugly scene that used to happen. Once my mom brought the subject up, she said that it is something that she really regrets about that period of time. On the other end of the spectrum, my dad said that as far as he is concerned we had some sort of idyllic existance back then... My point is not really to blame anyone or anything like that, but its just strange that people can have such differing experiences of the same events...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home