echeblog

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Your Twisted Sister, Yaz

Ok, there's no question that the 80s were a pretty odd decade. Case in point, the phenomenon that was Twisted Sister. Ah, Hair Metal bands. They emerged prior to me really getting involved with pop music -- that didn't start until I got into high school around 1988. I did, however, remember their one big hit, "We're Not Gonna Take It." It's one of those 80s tunes that everyone knows but won't admit that anyone liked.

I was surprised to find that Twisted Sister, and "We're Not Gonna Take It" were named in Senate hearings regarding the outrageousness of rock music. Yes, looking back at the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) getting their panties in a bunch over Twisted Sister, Madonna, Black Sabbath and Prince... oh yeah, and they went especially bonkers over Cyndi Lauper for "She Bop." Are you kidding me? SHE BOP?! And I suppose they were upset that she spelled her first name with a "y" too. In any event, I can't help but laugh at the sheer futility at the whole thing and marvel at how they didn't just lose the battle, but note that it was even less effective than Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign in the long term.

Flasg forward about 20 years... I know I don't usually watch television and I just happened to be passing by one when I heard the familiar refrain of Twisted Sister's hit... except it's a cover version being used in a birth control commercial, for some new product called "Yaz." Wow, even if you're a washed up glam metal band, to have one of your hits being used in a birth control commercial? Maybe it'd be less humiliating if it was for condoms, but there's really not much you can say to lesson that indignity. Well, after 20 years, I think the PMRC can puff up their chests and say, "See? We're Not Gonna Take It really is promoting sex." And acne control.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home