echeblog

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Congrats, Cheryl!

ESPN The Magazine has just come out with an article where WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoopes, who plays for the Houston Comets, comes out of the closet. From my experience, life in the closet is painful, but the crazy thing is that for quite a while, the prospect of coming out is more frightening than the pain of being in the closet. It takes a tremendous amount of courage and I can't imagine the added pressure of being in the public eye.

Through it all, Sheryl comments, "My biggest concern is that people are going to look at my homosexuality and say to little girls -- whether they're white, black, Hispanic -- that I can't be their role model anymore." To that I say, you are a role model, now more than ever. Thank you for your strength, courage and willingness to speak your truth. We need more people like you to step forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home