echeblog

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Oh no, Dolly!

Dolly Parton just came out with a new album this past week - Those Were The Days. Now, I'm not a big fan of country music, but ever since I was a wee lil homo and saw her in 9 to 5 on the big screen, I've always thought she was one of the coolest women out there. It seems that Dolly's made a jump back into the public eye... or maybe its just that I've noticed that she's more visible these days. Personally, I think that's a good thing - with our age-obssessed culture, especially with the way women get pushed out of the public eye once they hit 40, it seems, I'm glad to see people like Dolly and say, Susan Sarandon, thrive.

That being said, a few months back, I saw a short piece on how Dolly was doing a cameo on the WB's Reba. It freaked me out because it looked like they had brought a bad drag queen on -- Dolly's had so much work done that her mouth now stretches from ear to ear. That kind of grin works for a Cheshire cat, but it looks downright creepy on a human being.

I can only imagine the pressure to look young in show business, so I'm doing my best not to judge, but OH MY GOD! That just looks unnatural. Maybe on her next round of surgery she can get things fixed... or at least get her money back. She's a beautiful woman, in many ways beyond looks and its just hard for me to see her looking so... distorted.

On a more positive note, the new album is great - a collection of classic songs from the 60s and 70s. At the moment I'm listening to her jam to "Me and Bobby McGee." Right on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home