echeblog

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Weekend Update

Another weekend draws to a close. Had a decent time, music-wise -- wasn't at the top of my game and at the same time wasn't too bad. The highlight of the weekend was that Fred Schneider of the B52s was at the club. One of my friends knows him and brought him to the club both nights, as Fred was in town for a concert. I didn't really get to say more than a few words, but I really enjoyed getting the chance to meet him. I've loved the B52s for a lot of years. There were a couple of songs where Fred got on the dance floor and shook his ass like he meant it, which I took as a tremendous compliment.

I also got the chance to sit down and chat with the owner of the club Friday night. He's been very happy with things the past month, month and a half -- quite impressed with how quickly I've come in so short a time. In fact, he wondered what was so different that prompted me to shift directions in the way that I did. It was very gratifying because I feel like over the past month or so I've finally felt comfortable enough to be myself and play what I feel as opposed to trying to please everyone. That's not to say I don't try to accomodate people or work with the crowd, but I'm having a much better time balancing everyone else with what I want to play. I have to admit that its been quite nice starting to have a little success through being myself. Another lesson from this weekend is that everyone and their mother thinks they know what a DJ should play. While I do my best to be open to different ideas and other peoples' points of view, the past couple of weekends have been a reminder to stay grounded in myself and in what I want to do.

On the whole, I guess my biggest challenge is to keep working at everything I'm trying to accomplish in my life - there's a lot - and appreciate the progress I'm making instead of getting frustrated when things aren't quite where I'd like them to be. Especially with my 32nd B-Day coming up on Thursday, I've caught myself in that mode lately. I guess that even in that, I have to try and ease up and appreciate that I've gotten better at it, even if I'm not that way all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home