echeblog

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hey You -- No Grunting!

Is nothing sacred?

In an effort to cut down on so-called "musclehead behavior," Planet Fitness of Wappingers Falls, N.Y. has instituted a strict "no grunting" policy, including a flashing light and siren that sounds when someone grunts or drops weights. "We're creating an atmosphere that's not intimidating," said Carol Palazzolo, the gym manager.

According to a local report, they're serious about it, too. Palazzolo called police to eject a member who violated the grunting restrictions. Al Argibay, the grunter in question, apparently was performing a squats when the incident occurred -- "I let out a grunt, squatted down, back up, grunt again. That's it. Basically, grunt, grunt, basic breathing in heavy, and breathing out."

Apparently, Palazzolo confronted Argibay about the forbidden grunting. Their accounts differ at this point -- Palazzolo alleges that Argibay became irate and swore at her. Argibay denies those charges. What isn't disputed is that Palazzolo called police to have Argibay removed from the gym. Planet Fitness recently revoked Argibay's membership.

Through it all, Palazzolo isn't backing down -- "If he feels I hurt his feelings, I apologize for that, but I do not apologize for the way I handled the situation and I am not apologizing for our etiquette at Planet Fitness."

This sounds like beef discrimination to me, no question. I'm no beef, but I'm willing to show solidarity to make sure beeves are treated fairly and with respect.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home