echeblog

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Little Things

This weekend went much better than I expected -- of course, given that my expectations were pretty low, its nice to have exceeded them. Its easy to get caught in the mode of noticing what's wrong in life -- as I've said before, this year hasn't really gone the way I had planned (as if it ever does) and its been difficult at times to let that go and notice the good things that are happening. Even when I've stopped and noticed the negativity I was stuck in, I kept missing what I needed to do to get out.

Anyway, I was watching TV for a little bit this afternoon -- something I rarely do these days. One of the commercials really seemed to point me in the direction I've needed to go. I've seen this commercial several times and its really one of my favorites.

What I love about it is the notion that one person doing a little thing to help someone else, to make things just a tiny bit better, those little things can help inspire others to do the same.

I guess that part of my recent angst lately is that I really try to do things the way I think is right. For example, as a DJ, I really feel like the music I play is a reflection of me as a person. While I try to walk a fine line and incorporate music that is new and appeals to the crowd, I also want to play songs that also give people a sense of hope and love, and to do it in a way that is appropriate and not preachy. Truth be told, there are many out there who really only want to hear whatever song is popular at the moment. I was fortunate this weekend that one of the people who works at the bar mentioned that he really appreciated that aspect of my sets. It gave me the chance to step back and realize that the little things I do really do make a difference, even if I don't always get to see the result of it... and that's a pretty good birthday present, if you ask me.

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
-Andre Gide

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home