echeblog

Monday, March 07, 2005

White Party XX

For those that know me, you know that I'm very picky when it comes to music, especially dance music. I guess that's one of the reasons I started DJing. So its rare that I come across a mixed CD that I can sit back and enjoy. Currently, I'm listening to White Party XX by Brett Henrichsen (available at Masterbeat), who was kind enough to send me a copy. Start to finish it is a very good CD. Not as many all out favorites as his second CD of The Club 3, but they all flow very well together.

The absolute highlight is track 9, Sauna by Mirage. Middle-eastern flair with minimal vocals that focuses on an acoustic guitar. Such a beautiful track. I clearly remember Brett playing this track last year at San Diego Pride near the end of the night. Earlier in the evening, Susan Morabito, one of my favorites, had been playing at the Zoo Party. Normally I really love her, but she seemed to be in a very strange space and by around 8pm, I was getting an awful vibe from the music. I can't put my finger on it but there was just an unhappy, angry energy I just couldn't shake and I decided to leave. Fast forward several hours to the closing party at Club Montage, I had basically been dancing for a good 12 hours and my feet just wouldn't go any further. I was sitting on a couch behind the DJ booth and Brett played Sauna as well as Down to Earth by Grace, among others. For those of you who haven't heard either song, they're just incredibly beautiful tracks. Despite the fact that I was exhausted, I couldn't bring myself to leave because the music was so beautiful that it made me cry. I remember thinking that Heaven has to feel like this. Strange that in many ways I had been to Heaven and Hell in the same night.

So, I was quite happy that Brett had decided to put this on White Party XX -- I didn't know the name of the song and didn't know where to find it. Anyway, if you're looking for a good dance CD, this one is definitely worth getting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home