echeblog

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hope for AZ?

I'm an Arizona native, so I don't really have too many illusions about the place. Certainly, we have a pretty long tradition of being a very conservative, Republican state. So, when the drive to put a gay marriage ban in the state constitution started, I'll admit that I figured it would be a shoo-in. After all, this is a place that elected J.D. Hayworth to Congress.

Even after all these years, though, Arizona may wind up surprising me -- a recent poll shows that 60% of voters oppose the ban. Color me shocked. Now, I don't by any stretch of the imagination believe that the battle is won. Rather, I think there's going to be a long fight, but at least now I think we've got a decent chance.

Check out AZTogether.org and their efforts to defeat the initiative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home