echeblog

Monday, September 26, 2005

Serenity

After reading Ethan's blog this weekend, I signed up for a screening for the movie, Serenity. I love good Sci-Fi and they've basically invited bloggers to sign up for an advance screening before the movie opens. Seems like a great grass-roots marketing effort, in my opinion. I confess, I didn't really know anything about the movie before I signed up, but here's the synopsis:

Joss Whedon, the Oscar® - and Emmy - nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE, ANGEL and FIREFLY, now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family –squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

I am pretty much sold on hearing Joss Whedon's name on the project. Having watched both Buffy and Angel, I think the man is brilliant. The writing should be top-notch and quite creative. There don't appear to be any real stars in the cast - I recognize a few of the actors -- the hunky Adam Baldwin (right) has been in quite a few things over the years, I remember Alan Tudyk from Dodgeball, where he played Pirate Steve (Arrrrrrrrrr! LIKES!) . In addition, Gina Torres also played Jasmine in the second-to-last season of Angel. While there isn't anyone with real star power, I trust Whedon's eye for talent after his success with Buffy and Angel.

Aside from that, I really don't know what to expect. I guess going into it without any expectations is a good thing. The screening is Wednesday night. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home