echeblog

Monday, November 21, 2005

Holy Altar Boy!

I know there have been plenty of press about the Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal. The latest news, however, hits close to home for me. My old parish priest, Monsignor Dale Fushek, was arrested today, charged with 10 counts of molesting several young men and boys.

I guess it would be easy for me to make some sort of glib comment, but I can't do it. Throughout junior high and high school, I was very active in the church and the youth program, which developed into a nationwide program, and knew and trusted Fr. Dale. For the record, I never heard of anything improper going on when I was there and never would have suspected. To be honest, I'd like to believe that it didn't happen, but I know its more important that the truth comes out, one way or another.

What a tragedy. So many lives ruined, the victims and his own. Ultimately, the responsibility falls back onto a Church that teaches its followers that they are unclean and should repress themselves. Of course, that same Church will continue to blame gays instead of acknowledging its own guilt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home