echeblog

Monday, November 14, 2005

Good News for a Change

I don't know about you all, but it seems like we're innundated with bad news all the time. Whether its news from Hurricane Barney Rubble or tales of corruption at the local mini-mart, bad news just keeps flowing and flowing. Of course, a big chunk of it is economics -- bad news sells. Nobody wants to buy a newspaper that says, "Sun Rises Yet Again!"

I guess that's also part of human nature - we pick out the things that are wrong and miss all the things that are right. So, I thought it was a nice change of pace to run into this article at the BBC -- according to a new report by the UN, the rate of deforestation has slowed by about 18% the past five years. While that's not quite like saying that we've fixed the problem, its a sign of significant progress. I know I've tried to do things in the past few years to try and help -- donating money to reforestation projects and such. Certainly its a drop in the bucket, but reading this makes me feel like it was worth it and that we can make a difference. Ultimately, its a good reminder for me that its important to recognize when you're making progress, even if you haven't quite made it to where you're trying to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home