echeblog

Monday, March 06, 2006

Turn, Turn, Turn

I had my first weekend off from DJing this weekend -- the club opened back in August, so its been over 6 months since I had a free weekend. Fortunately, I was able to have one of my good friends, who has been DJing for 10+ years fill in for me. She hadn't played in over a year so it was a good opportunity for her to get back in the booth. Getting out of the booth and back into normal socializing took a little adjustment. Usually I have a couple of minutes to say hello to people before I have to run back to the booth. It was great to be able to actually spend some time talking with people.

I received a call from a friend that I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I've known him since I came out 7 years ago. He was having a farewell cocktail party at his house - he had met someone a couple of years ago and they finally decided that they were going to move to Mexico. So, he was in the process of packing and selling a lot of his stuff before he made the final trip south of the border. It gave me a chance to say goodbye and remember all the good times we shared. I was also able to spend some time with friends who I hadn't seen together in quite a while. Another friend who had moved to New York was in town, so it was a rare treat to have this group together.

At the party I also heard that a couple that I know is splitting up. I remember being at their wedding a few years back. The whole night was a chance to look back and remember our time together and realize that time marches on -- you have to appreciate things while you can because inevitably, things change. And while I miss the "good old days" to some extent, I also realize that things change for a reason and ultimately, things have gotten better. Still, sometimes you need to step back and look at where you've come from in order to appreciate where you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home