echeblog

Monday, May 14, 2007

A Career Gone Wrong

I was flipping through channels today, a rarity for me as I don't watch TV, and The Mummy Returns was showing on USA. I marveled at how annoying the little kid was and remembered that the guy who played Ardeth Bay, the mysterious Arabic warrior in both of the Mummy films, Oded Fehr, was also in Charmed for a pretty significant story arc during the later years.

Finally I came to the so-called "star" of the film, Brendan Fraser. He's an attractive guy, I remember him in films like School Ties (which starred other budding superstars such as Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Chris O'Donnell -- speaking of which, WTF happened to him? I saw some recent photos of him and the 21st Century has NOT been kind) and With Honors and I remember thinking that the guy was a talent actor with quite a future, even as late as 1998, in Gods and Monsters.

Certainly he's done enough work to be considered "successful" but while you can forgive a movie like Airheadz early in his career (besides, it had Adam Sandler in it...), there are way too many movies like Dudley Do Right, George of the Jungle, Monkeybone, and Looney Tunes: Back in Action. And yet another sign of the apocalypse -- The Mummy 3 is in pre-production.

What happened? How did such a promising career go so horribly wrong?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home