echeblog

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Soundtrack Of Love

I guess I've always felt like my life has a soundtrack... I guess that's one of the reasons I ended up becoming a DJ. Seems like a certain song can really encapsulate a part of your life. Anyway, for some reason I was listening to a few songs that reminded me of love and relationships and I thought it was fascinating to see how my life, thoughts and feelings about love have evolved over time. Its like a journal, only fun to listen to. I'm not going to name names or anything, but I decided I'd clue you all in.

Phase 1: Crazy

I had just come out, I had never really been in a relationship -- I had been warned that it would really be a good idea to wait before I tried dating anyone... Of course, I ignored them and jumped right in. Not good. Long story short, I had no idea about how relationships worked and what exactly to expect. I believe my dear Patsy Cline sang it best, "I'm crazy for tryin' and I'm crazy for cryin', and I'm crazy for loving you..."

Crazy indeed. I guess "insanity" would be more accurate. I had some hard lessons to learn in those early days -- I suppose the biggest gift I received from those first couple of exes was the lesson that things are not always as they appear and that not everyone has the best intentions... oh yeah, and a nice case of crabs.

Phase 2: One Fine Day

It was maybe a year after those first fledgling relationships. I suppose I tell everyone that he was a friend that I fell for. We became friends but the truth is that from the moment I met him I felt like there was something there. Moulin Rouge had just come out at the time and I suppose that's the best way to describe the nature of our relationship. He was my "sparkling diamond" and I played the part of the penniless writer/DJ... of course, there was a lot of illusion going on -- most of the time it was a situation where there was something going on... and there wasn't... but there really was. Its too hard to explain quickly, but I think Natalie Merchant explains the real situation pretty well. At the end of the day I spent a long time waiting for "one fine day." Of course, the strange thing is that the truth finally came out... but it was too late. Bah, Moulin Rouge didn't have a happy ending either.

Current Phase: Down Together

Fast forward to today. Yes, there's currently someone I have my sights set on, but at the moment, there's not much to discuss. Instead, the song I have in mind has less to do with this particular person as it describes the relationship I'd like to have... leave it to a Tempe band: The Refreshments to come up with it... its not even really a love song, either, but I suppose it kind of is a reflection of me - kinda quirky, but in my better moments, playful and fun, and I guess that's what love means to me these days. "What's good for you is good for me and what's bad for you is bad for me. Well, cars break down and people break down and other things break down too, so lets go down together..."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home