echeblog

Monday, January 24, 2005

Sin Verguenza

Saturday, I went down to Tucson with my parents to visit my brother and sister-in-law and their kids in their new house. Fortunately, I had the foresight to hit the library before we went and bring my MP3 player with me, so the trip to and from Tucson went quite smoothly - I just put on my headphones, dived into my book and the next thing I knew, we were practically there. My brother and sister-in-law ended up having a little informal dinner party and had invited several people from his new job, none of which showed up. It ended up being me, my parents, my other bro & sis-in-law and their baby daughter and a neighbor couple for most of the evening. It wasn't the most exciting night of my life, but it was pleasant.

My parents and I ended up staying the night. Fast forward to around 11:30pm after everyone had gone to bed. The master bedroom is on one side of the house while the guest bedroom is on the other side of the house. I ended up parking on the couch in the living room and I decided to stay up for a while to read and decompress now that things were finally quiet.

I had been reading for a while and then I noticed this loud, incessant squeaking. At first I thought that maybe it was the refrigerator making funny noises - I know my fridge does that, but there were two problems with that theory - one, the squeaking was much more than usually would come from an icemaker or something and when I listened closer, it wasn't coming from the kitchen. I then postulated that maybe it was coming from outside, but quickly dismissed that as well - it was coming from the general direction of the guest bedroom.

Once I figured that out, it didn't take long to come up with a new theory... Oh my god, my parents are sin verguenza, that is, they're are shameless... this wasn't just a little muffled squeaking but loud, incessant, constant squeaking. I'm thinking, you get them out of the house and this is what happens. I could feel the contents of my stomach rearrange themselves and I fought the urge to retch.

I put my headphones on and tried to read a while longer, hoping I could ignore it and go to sleep, but once I took the headphones off, the squeaking continued and I knew I had to do something, if nothing but give in to the urge to lose whatever remained of my dinner. So, I hopped off the couch and made my way back to finally confront my fears. As I approached the source of my discomfort, I held my breath and found...



...it was coming from my nephew's hamster running around on it's little wheel. Thank you, Jesus.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home