echeblog

Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Culture War Has Begun...

I have to admit that I didn't expect this day to ever come. I never thought it would come to this. And I now I realize that its far worse than I had ever imagined.

The past few times I've walked through Blockbuster and among the new releases, I've noticed something peculiar -- Oh my stars and garters, it's The Book of Mormon Movie. Now, once I got over my surprise, I remember thinking to myself, hey, it's not something I would watch, but if I can go rent a copy of Saving Ryan's Privates, our LDS brethren should be able to entertain themselves. The more power to them -- as long as I don't have to watch it. (Although from the picture on the front of the box, the main character is grade-A BEEF!)

What's really alarming is that somehow they made it under my radar... and I actually enjoyed it. What's more, they used two weapons I never thought they could master... classic literature and hot men.

I just finished watching Excel's 2003 version of Pride & Prejudice. I figured that since Clueless was a loose adaptation of Jane Austin's Emma, that I'd enjoy this as well. This movie was light and airy, much in the style of Clueless, but included two incredibly attractive Mormon looking boys as supporting characters (pictured right and below). Now, in comparison, Clueless starred the incredibly charming, quirky, yet gorgeous Paul Rudd. The leading man in P&P, Orlando Seale,... well, I wouldn't exactly gnaw my arm off if I woke up next to him after a night of drunken debauchery, but he can't compare to Paul Rudd. He can't compete with his two supporting men, either.

So, the movie has a couple of major pieces of young flesh to keep your attention. BIG PLUS. How does it hold up story-wise? Oddly enough, it's not too bad. My biggest question is how our leading man, Darcy, makes the magical transformation from being an insufferable, self-centered, pretentious creep to a charming, likable guy. It just sort of happens without any real explanation. Of course, I was too busy watching Jack (left) and Charles (above) to really care.

So, I'll also admit that there were some red flags that suggested that this movie was trying to convert me even before I looked on the Web and found that it was also titled, "Pride and Prejudice: A Latter Day Comedy." Clue #1 - It's set in Provo, Utah. DING DING DING! Clue #2 - All the characters go to church.... TOGETHER. DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Clue #3 - It's set in PROVO, UTAH. I know I already said that, but hey, I should have figured it out from that alone... I mean, Salt Lake is one thing, but Provo?

Through it all, I just can't get their perverted lifestyle out of my head... It's giving me this uncontrollable urge to go find a hot Mormon guy and get right to work on starting a large family... I promise I won't stop until he's pregnant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home